Crockpot Pork with Scotch Whiskey BBQ Sauce

I would like to call this recipe "G-Love and Special Sauce!" Oh this is so tasty...
I struggle with store-bought BBQ sauces. I also can't stand BBQ with those gristly fatty pieces (gag.) I went on a mission to make my own sauce and cook my own pork BBQ, without having to rent a smoker. 

The Pork (G-Love)
First, I stuck a pork tenderloin in the crock pot with a can of diet Dr. Pepper, water, quartered onions, and about 2 T. Worcestershire. I let is cook on low all day until I got home from work. All I had to do when I got home was get the pork out and shred it! I loved coming home to my entree already being cooked.

The "Special Sauce"
2/3 Cup scotch whiskey (or bourbon, if you prefer)
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 to 1.5 cups of ketchup
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup water (more or less) 
Optional: 1 T. Medium buffalo wing sauce or tabasco

1. Saute the onions and garlic in the scotch whiskey on medium heat until
onions are clear (about 10 minutes.)
2. Add in everything else and bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer
on low for 20 min. Stir occasionally so it doesn't stick to sides of
pan.
3. I strained mine through a mesh colander so that the sauce was smooth and
minus the onion and garlic chunks.  
I actually made my sauce the night before then stuck it in the fridge for the next night's supper. This saved me a ton of time.

When serving, you can either mix the sauce in with the pork or leave it on the side so folks can choose how much they want. The pork has a ton of flavor when it comes out of the crock pot so you don't necessarily need to mix it in with the sauce.

Comments

Popular Posts