Asparagus Casserole

Growing up my grandmother Gibson always made everyone's favorite: asparagus casserole. I believe she got the recipe out of a Southern Living back in the 70's. Even though I don't really like asparagus that much, I ♥ this asparagus casserole.

The unfortunate thing about this recipe is that it calls for all kinds of things I shouldn't have, so I've updated the recipe to be somewhat healthier than the original. Even if you don't like asparagus, you should try this! I swear it's yummy and you barely taste any asparagus at all.

I use canned asparagus for this recipe because using fresh asparagus just is so tough and stringy even when cooked. You can use fresh if you prefer it though.

Ingredients
1 can asparagus, chopped
1 small jar pimentos
1 can 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
6-8 slices 2% American cheese
2 boiled eggs
2 slices wheat bread, cubed (for topping)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Use a square casserole dish.

Layer as follows:

1/2 can of the mushroom soup, spread on bottom of dish
Asparagus, pimentos, eggs
Top that layer with a few slices of American cheese

For the top layer, repeat, making sure to spread the soup around on your slices of cheese from the previous layer. Now you should be looking at the top layer of cheese slices. Sprinkle your cubed bread over the top of the casserole. Put in oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, until center is bubbling.

Comments

Popular Posts