Bubble Up Pizza Casserole


The original form of this recipe came from one of my WW peeps, but I've adjusted it to A)Make it taste better and B)Include ingredients I like better than the original suggestions. The original recipe calls for using reduced-fat biscuits, but for me and others I know who tried it the biscuits made the whole thing way too dough-y. Also, I didn't care for several spaghetti sauces I tried, even expensive ones, so I tried Ragu's pizza quick sauce. I kid you not it tastes way better and I'm picky.

Ingredients:
1/2 Onion, chopped
1/2 Green Pepper (or yellow or orange), chopped
1 Carton of white mushrooms (fresh - not canned)
20 Pieces of turkey pepperoni (more or less, whatever looks good to you) - cut either in halves or quarters
1 Jar of Ragu pizza quick sauce
1 Can/tube Pillsbury RF crescent rolls (will only use 3 of the triangles)
Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses
1/2 Tsp. Italian seasoning
Garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste

1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a square casserole dish with olive oil or cooking spray.
2. Saute the onion, green pepper and mushrooms. May want to spray the pan first with olive oil spray.
3. Add the pepperoni to this mixture. Though it's already cooked, it tastes better by sauteing it with the veggies. Also add in the Italian seasoning.
4. Spread a thin layer of pizza sauce on the bottom of the casserole. Layer on top with veggie/pepperoni mixture.
5. Pinch off crescent roll dough in small amount and roll into a loose ball. Don't make it rolled up too tight or it won't cook thoroughly. Layer than into the casserole, putting about 9 balls per layer.
6. Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat layering process starting with the pizza sauce and ending with the cheese one more time.
7. Bake on 400 for 20 minutes or until bubbly and the crescent dough has cooked thoroughly.

P.S. I take the 3 leftover crescent roll triangles and unroll them, spread a thin layer of pizza sauce on them, put a piece or two of pepperoni on them, them roll back up like a regular crescent rolls. I stick these in the oven with the casserole - they're usually done in 10 minutes and serve as a nice appetizer.


Comments

Popular Posts