Pimento Cheese


Wait! Don't immediately turn away when you read pimento cheese. I promise this is the best-tasting pimento cheese you've ever tried. In fact, people who detest pimento cheese actually like this version.


What's wrong with the typical pimento cheese recipe? It's just cheese, mayonnaise and pimentos. Usually too much mayo too. I take offense to fake orange coloring to make the mayo-white pimento cheese the "right color". Plus I'm not a huge fan of mayo.

The secret to this pimento cheese is pickle relish. It changes the taste of it completely. I also use part mild and part sharp cheddar which makes this more flavorful. You can use this on sandwiches, cracker and burgers (my husband's favorite use.)

Homemade Pimento Cheese

Ingredients
1 pkg 2% sharp cheddar (shredded)
1 pkg 2% mild cheddar (shredded)
Reduced fat mayo
Sweet pickle relish
1 small jar of diced pimentos (drained)
Salt and pepper to taste

Put both packages of cheese into your food processor. Add about ¼ cup of mayo and 3 Tbsp pickle relish. Blend. Add more mayo if it’s not sticking together well. I like to use the pickle juice to make up a lot of the liquid so that I can use less mayo than most pimento cheese. The pickle and mayo you can just eye based on what you're seeing as the consistency situation.

Add the jar of pimentos last (I usually don't drain the pimentos) and barely blend or it will become pink. OR, you can remove the mixture from the processor and mix in the pimentos in a separate bowl. Salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts