Homemade Tomato Jam

Enjoy summer with Homemade Tomato Jam

Last year I found a perfect spot in my yard for growing tomatoes. I had a cherry tomato plant that went gangbusters for months. It just kept producing! I ended up freezing many of those tomatoes and adding them to tomato soups I made over the fall and winter. 

This spring I planted both cherry and Roma tomato plants again. They are reliably producing and I started looking for recipes to use all these tomatoes. In hindsight, I'd suggest doubling this recipe because it reduces down so much. It yielded almost 2 cups of jam to give you an idea. It's so delicious!

Ingredients

2-3 lb. tomatoes, any variety, chopped
1 Vidalia onion, chopped
1 T. olive oil
1 lemon, zested and quartered
1 T. balsamic vinegar
1 T. grated ginger
1 T. minced garlic
4-6 leaves fresh basil, chopped (optional)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
Pinch of red pepper flakes or crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper to taste


Directions

  1. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add tomatoes and onions and cook on medium to medium high heat until they begin to soften.
  2. Add the garlic, ginger, lemon zest and whole lemon quarters. Cook another 5 minutes.
  3. Add the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, honey, salt, pepper and red pepper.
  4. Simmer on medium low, stirring occasionally, while the mixture reduces. It will reduce down to a sticky, thicker mixture that is no longer runny. It should resemble jam but be looser because it will thicken as it cools.
  5. Remove the lemon quarters. Store in airtight container(s) for 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator.

Comments

Popular Posts